We have been asked to publicise this:
There will be a public meeting at 6pm on Tuesday October 30th at the Uxbridge Civic Centre to discuss Hospice Care in the North of the Borough (i.e. Michael Sobell Hospice). The following is copied from the council’s website.
Following the closure of Michael Sobell House inpatient service, the Hillingdon Council External Services Select Committee is interested in establishing why the closure happened so quickly and what action is now being taken to ensure service provision within the North of the Borough.
Questions asked by Members of those present at the meeting may include the following:
1. Which organisation/s is/are responsible for ensuring a hospice provision?
2. How is MSH funded?
3. What is each organisation responsible for providing in relation to MSH?
4. Which organisation/s is/are responsible for reporting repairs, undertaking maintenance and funding this work in relation to the Hospice building?
5. Which organisation/s made the decision to close and why?
6. When did the need for repairs first become apparent?
7. What action was taken to address any estate repairs issues that had been highlighted before the decision was made to close?
8. Why were building improvement works/repairs not carried out before the decision was made to close?
9. Was a risk assessment undertaken regarding the closure of MSH (before and/or after)?
10. Was an equalities impact assessment undertaken?
11. What service level agreements are in place for the hospice service provision?
12. Why was the proposed closure of the inpatient unit not communicated to the External Services Select Committee in a timely manner (bearing in mind that there is a duty on relevant NHS bodies and health service providers to consult health scrutiny bodies on substantial reconfiguration proposals or on substantial variations in the provision of such services)?
13. What action was taken in relation to relocating patients and why? What will happen to them in the medium/long term?
14. Why were (cancer) Wards 10 and 11 at MVH deemed more appropriate than an inpatient hospice?
15. What action was taken in relation to relocating staff and why? What will happen to these staff in the medium/long term?
16. What action has been taken to support patients, families and staff since the MSH closure and how has the effectiveness of this action been measured?
17. What action has been taken to ensure that the care of MVH patients has not been impacted?
18. What works are needed to bring the building up to standard (and associated costings and timescales)?
19. If the MSH building is not repairable, what action is being taken to source alternative provision in the north of the Borough and where would the associated funding come from?
20. What are the timescales to recommence a hospice provision in the north of the Borough?
21. Going forward, how will residents be kept updated on progress in re-establishing a hospice provision?