Your vehicle could be at risk
Catalytic converter thieves are active in Ickenham
They target HYBRID versions of TOYOTA AURIS, TOYOTA PRIUS and also HONDA JAZZ, HONDA CR-V and LEXUS RX
If you see any suspicious activities please call 999 immediately
To reduce the risk of having your catalytic converter stolen, you should:
- Park your car in a locked garage where possible, but if this isn’t an option, then park it in a well-lit and well-populated area
- Park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make the theft more difficult
- Avoid parking your vehicle half on the pavement and half on the road, as this may make it easier for thieves to access the catalytic converter
- If parking in a public car park, consider parking alongside other cars and facing you bonnet towards the wall if possible. With the catalytic converter positioned at the front of your vehicle, this will make it harder for thieves to get close enough to steal it
- If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low clearance vehicles to block the high clearance vehicles. This will obstruct access underneath
- If your catalytic converter is bolted on, you can ask for your local garage to weld the bolts to make it more difficult to remove.
- Alternatively, you can also etch a serial number on the converter
- You can even purchase a ‘cage clamp’ which is a cage device that locks in around the converter to make it more difficult to remove
- Speak to your dealership about the possibility of adding a tilt sensor that will activate the alarm should any thief try to jack the vehicle up to steal the converter
If you see someone acting suspiciously under a vehicle, report it to the Police.