This just in from HS2:
Ground Investigation Surveys
What are we doing?
As part of developing the route design of the HS2 high speed railway, we are carrying out ground investigation (GI) surveys on Ruislip Golf Course starting from week beginning 2 October 2017 until 17 November 2017.
The work will take place week days only between 8am and 6pm. lt will involve using drilling equipment to take samples or measurements of soil and water conditions. This type of survey helps us to understand more about the ground where we want to build the railway. lt’s vital that we know about the soil before construction begins so we can build effectively.
If you’d like to know more, please visit www.gov.uk/hs2 and download our non-
technical ground investigation guide.
How will this affect me?
There are different types of GI taking place.
- There will be ten rotary core boreholes being drilled at a depth of between 35m and 40m using large vertical drilling equipment with each borehole taking between 7 to 10 working days.
- There will be five cable percussion boreholes drilled to a depth of between 10m and 20m taking around 10 working days in total.
- There will be five cone penetration tests taking place that is non- intrusive taking 3 days in total.
- There will be some trial pits and pavement core samples taken in the car park and access road.
Our contractor will work as quickly as they can, avoid unnecessary noise and keep the area tidy. Once the work is complete our contractor will restore the area to its previous condition. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause.
ln advance of drilling we will be undertaking site preparation involving track laying the week beginning 25 September.
Duraton of works
Weekday working hours
Working hours between 8am and 6pm Our contractors may also be on site for one hour‘s start-up and shutdown.
What to expect
- Background noise from drilling boreholes and digging trial pits and the use of water pumps
- Hoarding around the site
- Contractor vehicle movements to and from site.
What we will do
- lnform you in advance of any changes to the dates shown
- Keep all sites safe and secure
- Ensure that all sites are reinstated to the required standard
High Speed Two (HS2) Limited
Two Snowhill, Snow Hill Queensway, Birmingham B4 6GA